Thursday, May 02, 2013

Davenport Lutheran Home

Memories in the Making-Literally. 
–Becky Jones

This is the second year that the Davenport Lutheran Home has participated in the Alzheimer’s Association’s , Memories in the Making. This year I had the pleasure of sitting on the committee and coordinating the event with our SCU Activity Aide, Laurice Hughes. I have not had much opportunity to interact with the folks in our memory care unit, so I was looking forward to the experience, but didn’t really know what to expect. For our first painting project, I used a black crayon and drew random shapes all over sheets of water-color paper. I gave each resident only three colors of paint to work with. I sat with Doty, whose pretty blue eyes had almost no expression in them as I invited her to begin painting the shapes on her paper. She said nothing, but seemed to be engaged. I put the brush in her hand and directed her to her palette. Then I left her at her table and went on to get other residents started on their projects. When I returned to check on her, I was overjoyed to see that Doty had painted nearly all of the shapes on her paper. I praised her and complimented her artwork. I asked her if she enjoyed the project and would she like to start another and she said, “I WANT RED.” She spoke to me! I was so excited! I added red paint to Doty’s palette and she finished painting her shapes. I tried to engage in conversation with my new artist friend, but all my questions went unanswered. She didn’t say another word to me, but when I asked if I could take her picture with her artwork, she held it up and smiled. Laurice and I facilitated eight art projects as a part of Memories in the Making. Laurice and I submitted our masterpieces to be used in this fundraiser. Doty’s piece is one that was selected for auction at The Figge Art Museum. I know that Doty and the others who made paintings and collages with us, probably forgot about the experience before the painting supplies were cleaned up and put away. But I know that Doty and I connected that day am thankful that she created this memory for me.