Friday, November 04, 2011

Rev. Dr. Dean Rothchild

Each of our 119 congregations has been given the Pastoral Office.  Through the Pastoral Office Christ Jesus brings to His people the forgiveness of sins.  That is distributed through the preaching of the Holy Gospel and by the proper administration of the sacraments (Holy Baptism, Holy Communion, and Holy Absolution).
Each of our congregations has been given a mission field to which that Gospel is to be proclaimed.  God’s people are called to be the face of Christ Jesus in that mission field.  Our Pastor’s are called to be laborers in the harvest fields by faithfully preaching, teaching, and administering the Sacraments.
The next question which looms before each of our congregations is “what should we be doing as a congregation to be the face of Christ in the community in which we exist?”  Do we take on a Christ-like attitude that we live our lives as “God’s sent letters” into our mission field?  Or maybe we adopt a posture which says, the church building is here and the people should come to us? 
The Church is apostolic because Christ Jesus sent the apostles and His Church out into the world.  The Church has the authority of Christ Jesus to be His ambassadors to those who are dying and going to hell.  The Church (both people and pastor) are claimed and sent to be proclaimers.
Each person in our congregation should be able to state three benefits that they received from being a member of their church.  For example:  I readily receive the forgiveness of sins in the Divine Service; my church teaches the true Word of God; and my church practices Biblical reconciliation.  Each person should also be able to list three things that he appreciates of its pastor(s):  For example:  He preaches Biblical sermons, properly dividing Law and Gospel;  He is faithful in doctrine and practice; and he truly cares about and loves the sheep entrusted to his care.
Sometimes congregations get in a rut.  A little time taken to pause, reflect, ponder and plan can help get a congregation focused around the wonderful task of proclaiming Christ Jesus to its community.   It is my privilege to serve you as Paul states: “I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me, and delivered Himself up for me.”  Galatians 2:20.   If you desire to do some strategic planning, I am available to come and lead you through that process.  I can be reached at: deanrothchild@lcmside.org or 319-373-2112.