Friday, February 01, 2013

St. Paul's Chapel in Iowa City

Sarah Flathers
MY FIRST SEMESTER AT IOWA

Finally getting out of the house and starting at the University of Iowa was a scary for me at first, but St. Paul’s made it much easier to adjust to life at college. During the summer I went to orientation at the University and I got a chance to visit St. Paul’s Lutheran Chapel as a possible place to attend church when I went to school. I wasn’t sure at first, but that was because I have always attended St. John’s Lutheran Church in Clinton, Iowa, and was so used to Pastor Pool and Pastor Brinkman and their preaching. I thought someplace different just wouldn’t be the same. Soon that all changed.

My first Sunday at St. Paul’s I walked into the chapel not knowing what to do or where to go. Within a few minutes of wandering into the building, the members and students of the chapel helped me and answered all my questions. It was then that I realized St. Paul’s would be a really good place to attend; everyone there is so friendly and kind, and they help you out with whatever you need.

Not only do we have services on Sunday mornings at 10:30 but we also have different activities for the college students and the permanent members of the congregation. One of my favorite activities is the Home Away from Home program. That is where a permanent member invites a college student into their home to get away from the dorm and to give them a home cooked meal.

Some other chapel events include Nerf War, going to a high school football game, and retreat weekends with other college students. By participating in all these events I have made some terrific friends who made my first semester at Iowa a great experience. Many of us even get together outside of Chapel just to hang out. You really make some great friends at St. Paul’s. I have also been teaching Sunday school at St. Paul’s which lets me share my faith in Christ with the little children at Chapel.

I would like to thank Pastor Mons and his family Christine, Katie, Susie, Annie, and James Mons, Daniel and Crysten Sanchez, Sarah Henry, Catie Rinderknect, Caleb Koch, Rebecca Schaff, Nathan Black and Brooke Elliff for welcoming me to St. Paul’s this first semester.

St. Paul’s has made my transition into college much smoother than I expected. It would have been a difficult transition if I didn’t have a place like St. Paul’s to welcome me at University of Iowa. If you are ever in Iowa City on a Sunday morning stop by and come worship with us all at St. Paul’s!