Tuesday, November 02, 2010

St. Paul's Chapel and University Center in Iowa City


Chen Ya Chen is from Taiwan and is a graduate student at the University of Iowa. Earlier this fall she received the Rite of Confirmation at St. Paul’s Lutheran Chapel.

"This is the first time I have studied abroad and I had no idea that what is waiting for me in America. I simply trusted my Lord and, surprisingly, he prepared everything for me: an admission, a comfortable house in which to stay, a perfect learning environment, sincere friends, and the most important part: a warm home in foreign country.

The home is St. Paul’s chapel. In this home, pastor guides me to know more about God’s Word and grace. Sisters, brothers and I enjoy diverse activities and serving others. We sing in choir together, have fun together and learn the culture and language from each other’s country together. God sent me so many angels. He has helped me to experience lots of wonderful things in life. He has helped me to adjust to the new environment.

At St. Paul’s there is a home and family who will give me support no matter what happens to me. At St. Paul’s I know my sadness will be comforted, my concerns will be listened to and my happiness will be cheered.

That makes me feel at ease. Every night before I sleep, I express my gratitude toward Jesus that I am not alone in Iowa; I am with my Father in heaven and my family in the chapel."