Thursday, March 02, 2006

March 2006 Issue - Rev. Dean Rothchild


What do you treasure in life? Or, what are some of the treasures which have been given in life? All of these come to us as gifts from the hand of a gracious and loving God.
I want to share with you some of the things which I truly treasure. The first would be “the forgiveness of sins.” What a treasure you and I have been given in Christ Jesus! St. Paul says: “In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses according to the riches of His grace, which He lavished upon us” Eph. 1:7-8a. That certainly is a treasure.
Our faith is also a treasure which has been given to us by God. It is not something we earn or deserve, but God has worked it in us already in the waters of Holy Baptism. What a blessing our baptism is. Daily we return to it, confessing our sins, and being assured that Christ Jesus forgives us our sins. Paul wrote: “For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast” Eph. 2:8-9. Faith receives what Jesus has done!
I also treasure my family and friends. What a blessing they are, especially my wife of almost 30 years, Corrine, our four children, and our daughter and son-in-law. As I grow older I find that the relationships in life we have with others are so valuable and precious. An even greater treasure is to know that Jesus calls us His friend. “Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. You are My friends, if you do what I command you” John 15:13-14. Thanks be to God that Jesus has done all things for us!
I also treasure the family of faith we call the Church. For it is in the Church that one is fed, that one receives the forgiveness of sins, and where one is strengthened through Word and Sacrament to go back into the world and to confess Christ Jesus through one’s daily vocation. Jesus has promised: “And I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades shall not overpower it” Matt.16:18.
I also treasure the freedom which the Gospel gives me in life. I am not encumbered at trying to keep the Law, but realize that Christ Jesus has kept it perfectly in my stead. He also suffered, died, and rose, in my stead and for my sins! Jesus says: “If you abide in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free” John 8:31-32.
St. Paul states: “for he who has died is freed from sin. But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life” Rom. 6:7, 22.
These are just a few of the treasures which I have been given in life. As Paul says: “I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me, and delivered Himself up for me” Gal. 2:20. IDE